Thursday, August 9, 2012

So Much To Say!!


(I've been unable to post a blog for so long that the entire early summer session of life seems to have slipped away. I have a rush of photos to add, illustrating our progresses and stalemates! We all know the cliche about good intentions. In truth, it was more "acts of god" than laziness on the part of your humble blogster. I'll relate the harrowing tale of Internet inaccessibility in a future posting; nothing is ever easy, or as easy as corporate advertisements would lead you to believe.)
I drove home from Gainful Employment Land on Friday and I chose a different road, along a pleasant suburban semi-farm area hoping to avoid the air pollution coagulating along a more travelled route. I was tooling along a bit more slowly than my usual break-neck speed and I was enjoying the occasional grazing cow, and roadside horse. On the right periphery of my vision, I detected movement and braked my car for what I took to be a very large dog (think mega-Rottweiler) approaching the road. Instead, a good looking black bear gallumphed directly in front of my car- mouth wide open no doubt to gulp the hot and muggy air. He was, after all, wrapped in a thick coat of black fur. I reached for my camera but he was long gone! Quite a sight. You'll just have to imagine that.
Another missed Animal Kingdom Photo Op occurred while I was moving Crisco the Stallion's portable pasture. (See all the new things happening at the BauHaus Chicken Coop? I promise a posting about our amazing Equine Lawn Mower.) Crispin enjoys watching me move the portable fencing. He know he'll have new eating. But on this particular afternoon, he was engrossed in something else, snorting and shaking his mane and cantering from one end of the fence line to the other. Feeling his oats, so to speak and showing he might have a touch of Lipizzaner in him what with his attempts at Airs Above the Ground. I finally had to go see what he was looking at. At the bottom of his permanent pasture was a very large turkey, not responding to Crispin's flirtations, but just standing his ground and seeming unmoved. Crispin would run full tilt down the hill towards the turkey and then- being more than a bit of a chicken- turn and canter back up the hill. This went on for a good ten minutes until the turkey expressed boredom and flew off. that in itself was a sight as he had a most impressive wingspan.

1 comment:

  1. Oh and that's an all black woolly bear caterpiller in lieu of a black bear...

    ReplyDelete