Friday, August 24, 2012

Garden Monsters or... GardenZilla?

I've been planting Tithonia (rotundafolia for those that pay attention to such things!) for years. I therefore know what it (should) look like and this ain't it! Thinking that my saved seed might be old and not germinate reliably (as I had issues with several other saved seeds),  I purchased a brand new 2012 pack of Tithonia from a Burpee's kiosk. It germinated just fine and I carefully transplanted  the little darlibgs out into my borders this late spring.
They commenced to grow. And grow. And grow. And waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in July around my birthday, I remarked to Bob that it should have been starteing to bloom. And that the leaves didn't look quite right; instead of a velvety, matte grey-gree, they look more like that ubiquitous wild lettuce with deeply cut shiny leaves. And here it is, a full month later and still no buds.
So we'll give it an "A" for vigor, but it's dwarfing other very tall denizens of my border and looks like a jolly green giant. This is not the first time that seed has been untrue. Bob gave me seedlings of "Lemon Gem" Tagetes marigolds that turned out to be orange and more "Crackerjack" than Tagetes.
I contacted Burpee's, sending along the requisite jpegs and I received a less than satisfactory answer. I was told maybe my soil was too rich- all leaves, no flowers. Or perhaps my soil was impoverished and unimproved as that another reason for low flower set. But it missed the salient issue: this is no Tithonia that I've ever seen. The rest of my plants seen to be cowering behind this monster!
I mean, several of them are well over seven feet tall and still growing. I was envious of my friend Roberta, who's well behaved Tithonia was blooming beautifully in her splendid garden. I don't think I'll save the seeds from these behemoths... that is if they ever flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment