Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Doors and Windows- Oh My!

Talk about shopping from home! I came back from work on Tuesday to discover a whole array of possible doors and windows had been magically transported by Bob from our friend Joe's storage barn. He'd always said, "When it comes to doors and windows for your studio, don't forget: I have LOADS of doors and windows." He wasn't kidding. I described to Bob what I had in mind, stressing that I was flexible and would settle for whatever Joe had available.
But the ones presented are perfect! Bob brought back a French double door that Joe had promised to me and it's so nice! It has a really cool patina of three layers of paint that we're going to try and preserve by applying  a sealer to it. You can sort of see one panel of it in the middle. The windows can be mounted horizontally or vertically, and they're thermal and brand new. (You can see the tags in the pictures).
So Bob and I went out to the studio site and Bob erected a string at the height of the studio roof line. This gave me a conceptual framework to figure the actual layout of the doors and windows. I tried drawing this stuff on paper- and approximated where I might want openings- but really it wasn't until we stood on my floor and held up tape measures and real doors that it took shape.
This is the other side door. Bob and I bought this door at the auction a year or two ago just because we both liked it. I guess we had somewhere way back in our heads that it might come in handy when we built my studio, or added onto the barn. The doors will double as windows and let in a lot of light. I can't emphasize enough how I need all the wall space I can manage- uninterrupted wall space.
I can't believe that I may have deleted the picture I took of my completed floor. I'll have to re-photograph the floor tomorrow. It looks kind of cool; like a expectant dance floor or an artist's landing pad. I'm getting psyched!

No comments:

Post a Comment