Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Forty Acres and a Mule

(In reality, it's more like 4.36 acres and a horse!)
So there I am for the umpteenth time surveying our vast, delightfully private, and environmenatlly varied (open field, stream, swamp, pond, evergreen grove etc) property and I'm shouting, "Mine! All mine!"
I know: it's politically incorrect to think of the Earth and Mother Nature (isn't she wonderful?) and in terms of ownership and possession but I've wanted land for so long that it's legend. (And yes, more accurately, I should be shouting "Ours! All ours!" but it doesn't have the same ring and I'm sure Bob will forgive my single-mindedness).
Anyway, we will be careful stewards of this corner of the universe- our corner!- as we aren't planning to erect parking garages or sign contracts to become nuclear waste storage facilities anytime soon. I'm fairly confident that 965 Jeremy Swamp is relatively clean; a happy fact of purchasing a property where there has been little or no gardening. Few if any lawn or garden chemicals have been used. I am amazed at just how many people still use bug and slug killers, pre-emergent weed herbicides, Round-Up... Americans do love their toxic products, especially if they promise miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment