Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Society of Yard Sitters

Here I am, sitting on Maggie's back. We're contemplating Bob's sculpture, "Angels Trump". Despite being astride my splendid palfrey, I am sitting still. At least temporarily...
A friend of mine from work, Susan by name, opined that she was exhausted. I concurred that Bob and I had been feeling the same way. Susan and I began comparing notes and we both realized we were reeling off vast lists of all the work we had been doing. We were so crazy task oriented, that we never stopped to admire all the work we had done. Planting our gardens, mowing the lawn, shopping for food, insulating my studio: the lists went on and on. (Susan added something quaint called "cleaning the house" but I'm not really sure what that is...) Additionally, everything needs doing at once. And, of course, to this compilation of errands and chores and endless responsibilities, you have to factor in going to work so it's no wonder we're all beat to Hell.
Even worse, I'm suffering from a related problem: I've been so on-task and multi-tasked and uber-directed that at bedtime I can't sleep. I'm plain old too tired. I sometimes fall asleep just fine, but wake several hours later, certain that I haven't accomplished something that absolutely needed doing. Truthfully, most of these things can't be done at 2:00 in the morning, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about them.
The other day, I was high on a ladder in my (soon to be completed) studio, stapling insulation to the studs. I happened to look out the window and spied my neighbor Meagan performing an unusual activity: she was sitting on her deck. Yes, just sitting. I marveled at the skill she exhibited in doing so unusual an activity. I then thought to myself, "I'd like to try that".
Here is a radical proposition: that we occasionally do nothing. I suggest we all simply stop and do nothing. I recommend ignoring all those pesky details that demand attention but probably can wait. Just sit still.
Will I follow my own advice? Probably not right now (even though I took a vacation from work) as I need to finish my studio (almost there...) and I must finish planting the garden (we are on a small tour this year...) You get the picture; it's much harder than it seems to "do nothing".
But The Society of Yard Sitters seems an idea who's time has come. If even for five minutes, I will sit still on our back deck and do nothing. Try this one at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment