Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Fruitful Gifts

Anyone who knows me knows that one of my primary reasons for owning a house was my constant chant of "I want fruit trees! I want berry bushes!" And so we have begun the vegetable garden and started to lay out beds and borders...
The other day I spied a UPS package in a very vertical shape and checked to see if it had been mis-addressed as we hadn't ordered anything. Lo and behold, it was a simply wonderful gift from my friend Laurie in the form of a peach tree- and not just any peach, but a "Belle of Georgia". We were thrilled as we can begin our orchard. What a great gift because everytime you pick and enjoy fruit, you can remember the thoughfulness of a friend. The peach tree has been planted and guy-wired (as seen in above picture) in our "agricultural triangle".
My sister Beatrice and her partner John gave us some raspberry shoots from their yard, so we're off to a flying start. We are still at work erecting the perimeter fence.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't mention the fact that I got Bob four blueberry bushes for his birthday (Two "Elliot" and two Blue Crop") as they were a surprise. We'll see which ones we like the best- several years from now! They say you get better fruit set if you plant a couple of varieties. we're going to look for a few more bushes of a possible third type.

    ReplyDelete