Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gardens Away

This is what happens when you move a garden. I suppose a brief aside is called for in addressing the "perfect universe" idea of how to move 20 years worth of plants. I thought I was so smart; I was going to hold a "Garden Tag Sale" and sell of many of my perennials and with the amassed proceeds, I would purchase a whole garden's worth of flowers and shrubs! Ha! As we all know, Bob and I moved in January so that was out of the question.
In the meantime, our truck was out of commission (don't even ask- another long story) so we were unable to move the plants until now. (In the midst of pouring rain and mud, but I guess the upside is there's no need to water!). Bob was a good sport and helped despite it being one of the top ten unpleasant days to do it on. Now we have to heal them all into that virgin vegetable patch as we don't really have perennial beds laid out.
But anyone who has gardened for any length of time knows that a  favorite plant (or twenty) are like good friends and you don't just abandon them. Additonally, perennials aren't cheap and many hard to find ones are even more expensive so replacing them is a costly enterprise. (Have I mentione dtaht we have a million other things to spend filthy lucre on?)
I will also admit to a tinge of sadness on seeing my old gardens. The new tenant has apparantly had no interest in maintaining our gardens or starting new ones. The property looked abandoned and unloved.  I was very happy to rescue as many plants as I could. They deserved better!!!
On a postive and potentially humourous note, however, I can attest to the antics a drenched woman in a clown suit as being a real conversation starter for our new neighbors (their house in above photo).  I have an embarrassing plastic rain coat that did little to camoflage my being adorned from head to foot in mud.

No comments:

Post a Comment