Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Well-Dressed Beast

I broke out Crispin's raincoat the other day as unpleasant (albeit not freezing) rain was scheduled. I'm not much on blanketing horses, but after my previous blog posting lamenting Crispin's insisting on standing around and getting wet, I thought to dress him up. He didn't care.
At least I got Crispin a bright red and black housecoat; you should have seen some of the horses at the barn! There is no end to people's bizarre ideas of what a horse should wear. Decked out like pink plaid tea cozies and peculiar high neckline horse hoodies, the unfortunate beasts made to wear these costumes resemble galloping sofas. Recent studies have proven the superiority of a horses natural defense: the woolly winter coat. (But of course, you don't have to buy anything so how can it work?? There is no lack of money to be made selling horse owners crazy merchandise...) On the other hand, that heavy winter coat gets wet and the horse could take a chill. But like I said to Bob the other day about Crispin, "Well, we haven't killed him yet!" so we must be doing something right!
A final and ironic note, however is that Crispin's rain jacket seems to have lost it's waterproofness so when I removed it the next day, he was soaked through underneath. It was probably worse than if I had done nothing.
Okay, I found a lovely selection. And this poor horse, mind you, was out on a sunny warm day dressed (as someone so aptly described it) in a hybrid between lingerie and armor!

No comments:

Post a Comment