Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Seemingly Have Fewer Fingers (A Good Thing!)

I should have said that I SEE fewer fingers, which is really a good thing! I am constantly trying to explain to family and friends just how it is that I see since my eye disaster. The weirdest aspect of this whole thing is that it's bizarrely selective; I can see some odd details really clearly and other bigger picture items not at all.
So the other day it occurs to me that I am seeing fewer fingers. If I close my right eye, my left (badly damaged eye) was seeing a fuzzy sort of hand approximation. I was essentially seeing three fingers for every one. (Lots of "ghosting" and haloes.) But recently when I close the right eye, my left eye has made a great leap forward. My left eye is resolving in some fashion, and now I see two fingers for every one. That's a major improvement! There' a lot less visual static and I can detect details, like seams on my winter gloves.
The piece above is an illustration of that fabled hand/eye collaboration. I should try making a piece that expresses the multiplicity of fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment