Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Let's Build a Stairway to the Stars!

A fine example of things that go flap in the night! Bob and I are laying in bed and it's 9 or 10 degrees outside with the wind picking up and howling. And there's that crash-crash-crash noise again as a swell of wind lofts the louvered door on our whole house fan. Neither Bob nor I had remembered that this had been an issue the last time a stern wind blew... and there goes the heat in the house.
The whole house fan trap door is, of course, inconvieniently located above the stairway where the ceiling is at its highest. The ever intrepid Bob had to wedge the ladder across the hall and out over the stairs... it looks just awful but I'll take his word that it's safe. But I'm an expert at bizzare household accidents so maybe I'll just go hide when he ascends to the heavens.
And speaking of freak accidents I had a lulu the other day. After visiting Mommy (who is in a convalescent facility) I stopped to get a cup of coffee. I walked all of ten feet from my car to the door and maybe another twelve feet to the counter, where I tried to order a cup of French Roast, but settled for regular. I walked back to my car and attempted to locate my keys. After and exciting hour of turning the car and every article of my clothing inside out, I felt as if I had entered the Twilight Zone. I even borrowed a pair of plastic gloves from the counter teenagers and went through three giant garbage cans, thinking maybe in a pre-occupied moment I had emptied my pockets and teh keys into the trash. They weren't there and it was a hideous enterprise and very much a piece of bad performance art.
Finally, I admitted defeat and called everyone I know who lives (somewhat) locally. No one was imediately home, but my sister Beatrice and her sidekick/life partner John valiantly agreed to drive down and rescue me, if not my car. I finally connected with Bob who was instructed to meet us at Baetrice and John's house. In the meantime, a phone call comes in to Dunkin Donuts and I hear the counter teenager saying that I was still there. Apparently a man who was in line behind me picked up my keys and drove home (an hour away!) with them. At least he realized his error and was gallant enough to drive them all the way back to East haddam and the Dunkin Donuts. Along with two bottles of wine and some really good homemade biscotti. He felt that bad!
Alls well that ends well but never stop in East Haddam for anything as there has to be some bad energy there. This is not the first time odd things have happened to Bob and I at that intersection...

No comments:

Post a Comment