Thursday, October 18, 2012

Ah! Domesticity!

In our household, we fortunately share a rather comfortable- and somewhat organic- delegation of domestic chores. In the kitchen, Bob rules and does 90% of the actual cooking, preparing the "real food"; things like vegetables and meats and things that don't automatically come in cans. Generally, I do more baking, embracing our sweet teeth, preparing the unnecessary but anticipated desserts. Never met a cookie I didn't like! Bob does bake seriously, though, as his bread is justifiably famous. Just ask anyone who has been the lucky recipient of a loaf or stick.
So, I may not cook much, but I do most of the dishes and gladly! Bob is a swell cook and it seems a more than happy trade off. But I am particular when  it comes to washing. For one thing, I never mix silverware and plates or cups. Hate it! I detest the feel of cold metal things that have been sitting and soaking in nasty, greasy cold water. First thing is to separate all the flatware from everything else. I always do plates first, then cups then glasses, then silverware, the pots and pans. Hmmm. This makes me sound sort of neurotic and anal (which lord knows I'm not!) but I guess it simply makes it easier and far more pleasant. And hey! If I don't mind doing dishes, who cares if I have rules and organizational oddities?
This is what inspired me to post this particular blog. I really liked the shades of blue and the subtle layering of patterns. They pleased my eye- despite the fact that they're dirty dishes from breakfast- and I don't dread doing them. Now drying and replacing them in the cupboard is another whole story...

No comments:

Post a Comment