Monday, October 8, 2012

No Skeletons in MY Closet!

There's no skeletons in my closet because they're all sitting around in my studio... and the living room. And hanging around in the carport! I also have bags of heads and random body parts stashed in once empty corners. What, you might ask, are they all doing here?
They have emerged from storage- some in our horse barn, some in the attic, some previously exiled to a friend's factory building- to become newly re-animated. And they're all excited to know that a "pod" awaits them in Hartford...
I have been asked to do an installation at the Envisionfest on Saturday. Five other artists and myself were chosen by the artist David Borawski to create a work in one of those storage units that get plunked down in people's driveways when moving or renovating. A great idea! Hit and run pop-up art projects. I'm pleased to have been asked as my history of showing in Hartford has been limited to a distant association with the now defunct Artworks Gallery. The skeleton extravaganza- loosely titled "The Down Town Bone Shop" is my resurrection of a project I started several years back that was only seen in a limited capacity in New Haven during an Open Artist Studio. I thought it called for a closer viewing...
The motivation behind this project came from a student I had long ago in a mixed media class. She spied a skeleton (real human I presume) in the corner of our classroom and mentioned how cool it would be to have one. I replied, "Let's make our own!"
Of course, I'm not one to make one piece and move on: no, I made several complete skeletons, experimenting with different papers and tapes. (Cheap Staples mailing tape is the best and I now exclusively use New Yorker magazines for "content" although I toyed with craft paper and newsprint). Then I made heads. The skulls were fun because they inadvertently looked like different stages of human evolution. I made a Cro-Magnan and a Homo Habilis and Neandertal... and a few "ancestors" that we probably never knew existed; they are the missing links!

Here are my exquisitely well-behaved and compliant skeletons ensconced in their temporary home. The event was a success as weather held off and people came out for food, fun and festivities. For a first-time event, I felt like everything was nicely planned and executed.
Here's a last shot. I love the expression on the young art appreciator's face. (I also approve of her purple togs). My skeletons had a lovely time. They are now available for Halloween appearances... got a party in your future?

No comments:

Post a Comment