Sunday, October 14, 2012

Seasons End But New Beginnings

Last of the flowers! Gigantic dahlias that just started coming into their own- in time for that famous first frost. I picked them the night it was going to freeze so that at least we can enjoy them while we dine.
Beneath the dahlias is Bob's new bumper sticker. I really like the fact that what was originally a pejorative- "Obamacare"- became a positive label. And I believe that Obama does care... more than that odious and mean Mitt Romany and his evil sidekick Paul Ryan.
Another reason that I am putting up this particular posting is that my blog seemed be be altogether too beige and monochrome. It needed some real color. This particular arrangement is pretty primary but better than off white and endless drabness and beige beige beige (enough of that to come now that it's fall into winter...).
Here's a great thing about this time of year: garden centers are all offering truly remarkable discounts so that they can off load left over nursery stock. Just this week, I purchased a Sambucus nigra at 75% off and with my remaining grubstake, I was able to buy a really chunky White New Dawn climbing rose for (gasp) $4.25! (Okay, with tax it came to like $4.53...) Now to find the time to plant.
And get an eyefull of this find:
That's the real color! Need I add that that was love at first gander; got a good buy on this shrub, too. I was so impressed with this "Amethyst Beauty" Callicarpa and I chortled happily to myself about being the first kid on my block to have one of these in my garden. Then I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts to use the bathroom and there was one planted in front of the drive through. Ha! Looks better at out house and our coffee is
better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment