Saturday, September 8, 2012

Love Me or Leaf Me

I confess that I'm plant addicted. I readily admit that I can't pass by a nursery or garden center or even a building supply emporium or grocery store without wondering if they have a particular cultivar or a sale on plant material. I have a serious problem; ask Bob. I experience physical symptoms like sweaty palms and rolling eyes and the only relief comes from purchase. I'll buy almost any plant and give it a good home.
But today it occurred on me that it isn't always about buying the plant to plant it; I think my issue is weirder. I like to drive around with plants in the car with me. Witness the above picture.
I immediately felt better- nay, elated- when I spotted this Cytisus scoparius "Moonlight" at an Agway on the way to visit my mother. Boy, will that look good in my new garden bed and even better, it likes dry soils AND it's 60% off. I lugged my find out to the car and strapped it in and we were off.
With my new found friend and co-pilot, I somehow felt on a mission. I was showing it a good time and giving it a taste of the bigger world before it came to live in our garden. The plant gave me an oxygen-enriched environment in which to ride out a serious traffic slow-down, a sort of rolling green house. Plants pretty much stay in the same spot once you bring them home. But on the way to your house, they're quite congenial travel companions. They never contradict you or offer critiques on your driving abilities. And how often does anyone think to simply take them for a spin? Personally, I think they enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment