Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Population Explosion

That's my "artistic" shot for the day... sorry! I'll get out of the way now. (I do enjoy these shots of me in the picture, casting a shadow. I have a whole series- unintentionally! in my blog history).
Bob discovered a wild colony of mushrooms inhabiting a tree stump (oak?) in our horse pasture. He called my attention to it and I got the camera. There's hundreds of them.
They look like foam or alien life forms or fake! Neither Bob nor I are mushroom experts and so while Bob is tempted to think they're edible, he's smart enough to resist the urge to gnosh and die. My grandmother, who lived to be late 90 something, frequently went mushroom harvesting in the woods behind her home. They didn't kill her! But I wouldn't recommend it unless very certain of what's what. Some venerable mushroom expert just died a few years back from a single "mistake".
Here's another shot; an overview.
And there's more! Several other near-by stumps sported the same colonies and there were little satellite 'shrooms heading off in lovely drifts, following the buried and decaying root systems. They remind me of the arms of spiraling galaxies... or Bob's sculpture! I am of course referencing "Quartz Migration".


No comments:

Post a Comment