Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Felling of Tithonia 1-2-3

Remember that Tithonia that was just wrong? Too tall and no blooms and a rampant gangly thing? Well, after several recent rain falls and ever-skyward aspirations, I deemed it had gone too far, with too little result. I chopped down three in one bed, and three in another. Look at the size of the hole that monster left when I yanked it from the ground! I felt like Paul Bunyan.
Here's the mighty pile of leaves that resulted from my handiwork. And you know what? I sure don't miss them! The asters and dahlias and other denizens of this particular border seemed to heave a sigh of relief.
This is a shot for scale: Jules is a medium to large retriever mix and that pile of plant is big. Bob measured one out at at least 9 feet! I did leave one alone, to see if it would actually throw a few late season blooms. But here it is, September 26th and not a bud in sight. I did manage to knab a few seed heads from the Tithonia growing- and flowering!- in front of a local real estate agent's office. Next year I hope to have the real thing and not this mutant pretender!

No comments:

Post a Comment