Friday, July 15, 2011

An Eye for An I



I am generally leery of employing my art work for "therapeutic" ends. I've had therapist in the past who advised me to work issues out by making interpretive drawings and the like. Somehow, this never seemed comfortable or "natural" to me; it often felt forced or sort of hokey. It is therefore ironic that I am contemplating making some pieces about my eye...
Maybe it's because it's not even metaphoric. It's actual and literal that my eye (the primary organ by which I make art!) was damaged. That a part of the "Mighty Three" (hand/ eye/ brain) was directly involved is  profound. If I had lost hearing in one ear, it would be tragic as I love music, but it would have been no where as terrible as this eye involvement. Still, I sort of roll my eyes (yes, it stilll rolls even if I don't see so well) and wonder what on earth I'll accomplish by making a million pictures of eyeballs.
And, of course, I return to the fact that I really don't care ultimately what I or anyone else thinks. Making art is entirely motivated by the urge to, well, make art. Therefore, whether it commences as a form of therapy or an exercise in seeing, it really is about simply doing it and being committed to that act. It doesn't matter where art starts. It's where it goes that gets interesting. Sometimes, I think too much about making art. I'm happier and "more productive" (whatever that means!) when humming away in my studio, despite the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment