Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sleep Disturbances

Following up on the subject of learning to nap, I suppose it's a good time to pursue a conversation about my apparent insomnia. For the last year or so, I am one of those who awakens at 1 or 2 in the morning, unable to return to sleep. Very annoying.
Sometimes, it's caused by hyper anxiety about things like money, being an artist in such an odd world (that undervalues art and overvalues everything else- like sports, celebrity, stupid collectibles etc etc.) or the Fukishima nuclear reactors in Japan. Sometimes, like tonight, it's not even anything specific. I simply wake up and can't fall back to sleep. And hell, I'm tired. I moved a lot of perennials today!
I have been subscribing to the practice that it's better to get up and do something (like work on one's blog!) than to toss, turn, fidget and castigate one's self for being unable to sleep. Here I am...
Obviously, napping has become a nice trick to obviate the effects of sleeplessness. At least I can catch up during the day on the rest that alludes me at night. But isn't it different sleep? It seems like it is.
I used to sleep soundly. I suspect the last year with all of the major transitions and uncertainties that we endured caused some malfunction in my sleep curcuitry. But I'm more than ready to return to more continuous pattern of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment