Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Instant Garden- Just Add Water!

Sort of "instant garden" anyway! I have many perennials that I brought from our previous garden and they have spent the spring and early summer vacationing in the vegetable garden. Now I'm busy translpanting them but there are still eight million rocks and roots and all kinds of "junque" to remove before the instant part can happen. There are some happy combinations occurring; some I lifted wholesale from my old borders- like the "Gold Mound" spirea and small deep red day lily.
I had a rude awakening on Sunday when I went to Bob's mother's house to retreive the other half of my perennials from her vegetable garden where I had healed them in. Apparently, despite a fence and gate, the deer snuck in or over or through the fence and ate all of my plants. I mean I stood there for several profoundly awful minutes wondering just where all those plants were. Then I started to find stumpy bits of phlox and rudbeckia and hostas. But the Cimicifuga and other good friends have vanished. So I transplanted what I could locate and have healed them into a hospital ward in our vegetable garden, where I hope they will revive and regenerate for next spring...
Here's another view of my in-process borders:


Look at all that empty space! It's so wierd because I'm one of those "fill it up" gardeners who likes to see plenty of plants and very little raw dirt. I realize it's all part of the moving process and soon enough the beds will be full (and need dividing!). But it looks so empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment